Recently, the Minneapolis Planning Commission approved two new affordable housing projects: one at 2025 W River Road N (former Broadway Pizza site), and another at 2301 California St NE. Both projects are entirely affordable, but the approvals for both have been appealed to the Business, Inspections, Housing & Zoning (BIHZ) Committee —appeals that could ultimately prevent these affordable projects from moving forward.
At 2025 West River Road North, there are 163 homes are being proposed, and at 2301 California St NE., the total number of homes are 164. Combined, that’s over 300 affordable homes. Neither project requires tearing down existing homes (California St is a vacant lot, River Rd is surface parking lot with small restaurant building).
The bottom line: we need more affordable homes in our city, not barriers to building them.
How to help
An email in opposition to these appeals would show the city that affordable housing is an important priority of the Minneapolis Comprehensive Plan. Even just two or three sentences is enough to show your support (see talking points below). The public hearing is on Monday, November 2, 2020 at 1:30pm, so get your email in by Friday, October 30.
If you have time to testify, that would be even more powerful! Information on how to sign up is here (note the 2301 California St NE appeal is not yet on the agenda; check back before the meeting date if you wish to sign up for that).
Members of the BIHZ Committee:
Lisa Goodman (Chair): firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeremy Schroeder (Vice-chair): email@example.com
Kevin Reich: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cam Gordon: email@example.com
Jeremiah Ellison: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jamal Osman: email@example.com
Feel free to also include Ward 3 councilmember Steve Fletcher (firstname.lastname@example.org) on comments regarding 2301 California St NE, which is located in his ward.
- I support both of these projects and oppose the appeals to their approvals.
- Affordable housing is an important cornerstone of the Minneapolis Comprehensive Plan; we need more affordable homes in Minneapolis.
- If you’re comfortable saying where you live, and you live in the area, say so.
- The number of homes at both of these sites is appropriate and will allow residents access to amenities, including parks and public transit.
- Both projects will help add much-needed affordable homes to a city that currently loses affordable homes every year.
2505 W River Road N appeal
2301 California St NE. land use application (appeal documents not yet available)